Lean Manufacturing in Road Construction Mfg Co
- For any company, culture is very essential. If the culture is favorable, then company can do changes towards the improvement easily. Culture is a base for any improvement activity. It is like an Operating System in Computer. If your operating system is capable, you can use any of the software irrespective of its complexity.
- The company is a pioneer in the field of construction equipment manufacturing. They are manufacturing varieties of construction with innovation.
- While deciding to begin the journey, it is very much essential to know where we are standing now. And then it’s also very important to know where we want to reach. Here in this company, the management has emphasis on the reducing NVA (Non Value Added) time in the entire process. So that Value Added Time and will enhance the Customer satisfaction by providing them products as per their requirement within the specified time bound.
- Gap assessment has been carried out and find out the scopes for the improvement. Non Value Added time like Searching time, waiting time, etc. are high. Also inventory was kept in very conventional method which leads to the stock out situation and also increase the Inventory Carrying Cost.
- There is Painting process also, hence we found cost reduction scope in Painting process.
- For any improvement employees are at the centre, hence the involvement of the Total Employee is required for improvement. And for that 5-S and Kaizen was implemented for the cultivation of the People.
- For the implementation of identified scopes, strategic planning has been done. For 5-S implementation all employees and entire premises of the company has been divided into different zones and training to all members has been given. And for other project like JH, Kaizen etc. the teams has been formed as per their functional area and project requirements. These teams also given the training with respect to the projects identified. Implementation assistance is provided by CBEPL consultants.
- To drive implementation journey, management steering committee was formed along with journey coordinator. This committee & coordinator act as a mediator & facilitator between improvement teams, consultant & management.
- 80% Rework reduction
- ZERO incident of stock out situation
- Optimized the inventory of 85% of the items
- 30 % Reduction in Searching Time
- 50 % Reduction in Electrical Cable Connection time
- 50 % Reduction in Painting Cost
- 5% reduction in erection and commissioning time
- Productivity Improved by 25 %
Lean thinking defines value as providing benefit to the customer, anything else is waste