Gemba Board – An Effective Visual Management Tool by Mr-Ritesh Bhatt
Mr. Ritesh Bhatt, Sr. Consultant Concept Business Excellence Pvt. Ltd.
What is Gemba Board?
- Gemba Board is a very effective Visual Management Tool to Monitor and communicate current status of the Work Place. A Gemba Board System is an excellent way of opening up communication channel between Management and work Place so that one knows status in day to day running work. This form of Communication helps an organization to become more transparent. Gemba Board is a Visual Management – one of the ways of imparting knowledge about performance of the Actual Work Place and makes problem recognized in a systematic manner
- A workplace that is easily understands by all. Anyone could walk into a work unit and at a 'glance' understand the status of that work unit, what is current status, and whet improvements are needed.
Why Gemba Board is Important?
- Gemba Board provides a clear and common understanding of goals and measures. It allows people to align their actions and decisions with the overall strategic direction of their Work Place. It is also an open window to factory performance, and it provides the same unbiased information to everyone, whether owner, manager, operator, or visitor. Key Goal of Gemba Board is to increase communication by making Information easier to understand to improve overall performance of the Work Place.
- Gemba Board provides real-time information and feedback regarding the status of the workplace.
- It is a "Nervous System" of the Work Place that allows all employees to understand how they affect the Work Place's overall performance.
Where Gemba Board could be implemented?
- All Work Places within Organization like Shop Floor, Offices etc.
What should display?
- Gemba Board describes workplace's safety, Productivity, Quality, Material Flow, Delivery Metrics or other information. Information on Gemba Board should be displayed properly to help People avoid making errors. These should be visible not only to workers within the Organization but anyone passing through. Information should be clear as possible so that anyone could see from distance. Colour should be effectively.
Gemba Board should
- be clean and organized
- be easily understood
- be managed through involvement by all
- communicates progress
How to Initiate Gemba Board
- First of all decide the Areas for Gemba Board Implementation by doing Brainstorming exercise to know what information are important to Monitor and communicate by displaying on Gemba Board. After Brainstorming, Gemba Board Parameters should be freeze, Than Identify best location for Display which is easily visible to all.
- A daily short Gemba Board Meeting should conduct in each shift and in each work cell at the start-up of the shift by involving all team members of Work Cell. After Discussion, GEMBA Board should be updated with Status of Criteria, Corrective Action, Problem and Cause. The Discussion of encountered Problem, Root Cause, and Corrective Action should also discuss in meeting. After completion of month, all Gemba Board details are logged in system. Improvement Projects are identified after analysis of compiled data of Gemba Board.
How to Sustain Gemba Board System?
- Steering Committee or Management has to participate in Gemba Board Meeting once in a month.
- Top Management has to review the effectiveness of Gemba Board during plant visit.
- Results of the Gemba Board should be discussed in Management Review Meeting.
Following Points are considered in Productivity Parameter
- If Production Per day in Particular Date is more than 20 Ton, It will be shown with Green Color in respective date cell.
- If Production Per day in Particular Date is between 19-20 Ton, It will be shown with yellow Color in respective date cell.
- If Production Per day in Particular Date is less than 19 Ton, It will be shown with Red Color in respective date cell.
Parameters under PQDCS
- Production Per Day or Shift or per Person
- BD Hours
- No of BD
- Rolled Through put Yield
- First Time Yield
- Rejection % or ppm
- Rework % or ppm
- Fuel Consumption
- Material Consumption
- On Time Delivery
- No. of Accidents